Professor emeritus, Faculty of Law, McGill University
Jean Monnet Chair in the Law of International Economic Integration
- Taught constitutional law, law of the sea, public international law, international trade law, international arbitration, and the law of the European Community, and public international air law.
- Prepared books, articles and studies in English and French on international trade law and on Canadian comparative and constitutional law and international law.
- Served on WTO and NAFTA dispute settlement and arbitration tribunals.
- Member of the Order of Canada in December 2007.
- LL.D. (Honoris causa) (Université de Lyon, 1995; Kwansei Gakuin, 2002)
- LL.M., Harvard Law School, 1967-1968
- B.C.L., McGill University, 1966
- A.B. magna cum laude, Harvard College, 1963
- Professor, Faculty of Law, McGill University, 1976-2010
- Acting Director, Institute of Air and Space Law, McGill University, 1998-August 2002
- Director, Institute of Comparative Law, McGill University, 1984-89
- President, Canadian Red Cross Society, October 1999-2001
- Rédacteur associé : Annuaire canadien de droit international/Canadian Yearbook of International Law, 1990-2011
- Member of the Bar of the Province of Quebec, 1967-
Areas of Interest
International trade law, law of regional economic integration, European Community law, Canadian and comparative constitutional law, international environmental law, international humanitarian and human rights.