Yangtze River Chair Professor of International Economic Law (by Ministry of Education, China)
Founding Dean of the School of Law at Xi’an Jiaotong University, PR China
PhD, Trinity College, Cambridge
- “State Special Advisor” and “State Council Special Allowance Expert” appointed by the Chinese Government
- Arbitrator of China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission (CIETAC)
- Legal Advisor of the People’s Government of Shaanxi Province
- Shan has practiced international and Chinese laws since 1992. He is the lead advisor to the Chinese government on some key investment treaty negotiations, and has advised foreign governments, international organizations, and transnational corporations on international investment, trade and arbitration matters.
Publications and Editorial positions
- Published ten books in international and comparative law by English and Chinese publishers including Oxford University Press (OUP)
- Numerous articles in journals such the European Journal of International Law and American Journal of Comparative Law
- Founding Editor-in-Chief of The Chinese Journal of Comparative Law (OUP);
- Editor-in-General of the “China and International Economic Law Series” (Hart) and “Silk Road Collected Courses in International Economic Law” (Martinus Nijhoff);
Speaking and teaching engagements
- Spoke at European Parliament (testimony on EU-China investment treaty);
- Spoke at International Congress of Comparative Law (General Reporter on the Protection of Foreign Investment); and
- Taught at the UNCTAD/APEC Regional IIA Training Course, among others.